Saturday, June 21, 2008

Walkie #5: a long and silly story

So at Camp Sonshine all HC's and full-time staff carry around the most obnoxious walkies so that we can report lost children, inform others of our every move and so that we can be contacted when we're on one side of camp to hike to the other side to pick up that piece of paper that one kid has and bring it back to the other side again. Because of this I have decided that walkies are better than any workout I could ever come up with on my own, but that is beside the point. This was my walkie, his name was Ken.

Now these aren't just any walkies but they are actually pretty amazing and therefore ridiculously expensive. If something were to happen to it the money to replace it comes out of your own paycheck and considering we don't make that much, that is a large chunk of your summer wages. Of course, a week after I receive "Ken" I learn that when I speak, no one can hear or understand me (not a great quality). Since this obviously was not my fault I got someone else to talk to the man in charge (cause when it comes to walkies I refuse to ever be the one to tell him something is wrong) and he got me a new one. This one worked great and life was swell...til the other day. I was standing in the bus lot trying to get a hold of someone and wondering why they were not answering and why I couldn't hear myself speaking when I walked by someone else with a walkie. After some investigation I found that my once functioning walkie was no longer. It was not functioning in the slightest, wouldn't turn on, couldn't hear or speak. My boss convinced me to just grab one that was not assigned to someone else but when I found one that battery died so Australian Clay traded walkies with me for the day (I am now on walkie #3 for the day). Dan who is the assistant to the walkie boss man decided he would try to fix my walkie before anyone found out but could not so tried to replace it also to no avail. So all day I'm freaking out cause i realize I am about to shell out $500 to play for this walkie that I can only assume I broke. But eventually boss man found out and laughed at me and said he understood and he knew that I did not break it so he gave me another. (#4 for the day and #5 for the summer) and I'm deciding not to tell him that this one doesn't always work either. :)

To sum up my story, while everyone else has had the same walkie for the last 3 weeks and will pry continue to for the summer I am on walkie #5 and hope to stay that way.

0 comments: