Sunday, June 15, 2008

A concert ...

A while ago I got to go and see Derek Webb and Sara Groves in concert. I've been trying to see D Webb in concert for a long while now and Sara Groves has become a favorite of mine over the last few months. Both have such honesty in their lyrics and you can just feel their hearts when listening to them so I was pumped to see them in concert and it was just as wonderful as I had imagined it would be.

But even better the whole concert was to benefit blood:water baltimore which is linked with blood:water mission, an organization that has stolen my heart in the last year. They are an organiztation dedicated to "tangibly reducing the impact of the HIV/AIDS pandemic while addressing the underlying issues of poverty, injustice and oppression." They build wells and medical facilities so that people with already weakened immune systems due to AIDS no longer have to drink water infested with bacteria. 311 million Africans lack access to clean drinking water and some must travel 6 miles a day just to get any kind of water. Blood:water has been doing something about it and while it seems like a problem too big to handle they've been doing it one step at a time. Amazing.

"We recognize that numbers and statistics are hard to grasp, and that sometimes a step back is necessary to conceptualize the enormity of the HIV/AIDS crisis. Yet we also know that simply standing from a distance with arms thrown in the air is not a solution. We believe in pressing inward, in building relationships and bridges with communities in Africa. We believe in hearing personal stories and walking alongside brothers and sisters who have demonstrated strength and faith in the midst of desperate and tragic situations."

It's hard for me to not want to get behind that. That is what I think Jesus looks like. I could go on for hours but long story short this is my dream "job". I want to work for these people whether it be in Africa or here in the states doing whatever is needed. For now all I can give is my money but I'm excited for the future. I want to make a difference.

1 comments:

Love or Nothing said...

randiferous, keep the dream alive. that whole concert all i wanted to do was partner with blood:water and work for them and do something worthwhile with them for life. let's go for that goal and support them in the meantime. ;)